FISH FRIENDS is now under the direction of the supporting organizations in each province and state, and no longer being supported directly by the Atlantic Salmon Federation.
For information on who to contact for Fish Friends related questions in any area, ask the appropriate contact person in each region - click here
Fish Friends is a highly acclaimed school program with an inspiring and adaptable curriculum geared to Grade 4, 5, and 6 students. The Atlantic Salmon Federation developed it for use in both Canada and the United States, but after two decades has handed supervision to supporting local and regional organizations.
The program gives both children and adults the opportunity to explore the world of the wild Atlantic salmon; a species that needs clean rivers and streams to survive, and that migrates hundreds of miles or more to sea.The strengths of Fish Friends:
- Works with students of all abilities
- A naturally integrated program, combining mathematics, science, social studies and writing
- Raises the consciousness of students and adults about the need to care for the natural environment
- Geographically broad in scope as the Atlantic Ocean - indeed, from Russia to the Hudson River
- Students can experience raising wild animals, and see them returned to the wild; this creates a very personal bond between the student and the natural world
- A contact person in each region where the program is offered
- A Curriculum Guide that has been thoroughly tested in the classroom environment in both the United States and Canada